Friday, July 6, 2007

Deer at 7:30 am

(Disclaimer: The pictured deer is not the one I saw, who may not have been real he was so perfect. And of course, I never have a camera at the right time.)
The buck I saw was of noble bearing, walking slowly with stiff, sharp strides. Long straight leg bones punctuating each stride, thrusting through the hips, lifting his hide….oh the hide, tawny is of lions…too light, too yellow. This buck was dark tea amber, rich Mexican tooled leather brown, comfortably stretched vicuna cashmere brown, live animal gold. Neither a scar nor a whorl marred his healthy coat. Atop this graceful warrior was a rack of unnumbered points. It may have been 8 by Texas count (using each tip on both sides) or 4 by more modest woodsmen. Each branch of his crown rack was wrapped in thick velvet tinged in morning sunlight. He came from the creek and strode down the block, each step resisting the new asphalt where real earth used to cushion his hooves. At the corner he stopped to look back at me, who had slipped up to my front gate, then he turned right and continued his odyssey. I hope he went back to the creek through the yards and lanes in that direction.

4 comments:

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

How absolutely beautiful! Lucky you! I love the antler in velvet...have just seen that a couple of times in the Hill Country.

Anonymous said...

DeAnne: Your description of the buck is electric. I could immediately see him in my mind's eye. These wild creatures come into our city lives, full of asphalt, concrete and fences and bring such a treasure just by the appearance. In my last job, I was able to see a beautiful red fox most every evening about midnight when, at the same time, little brown rabbits with white powder puff tails were feeding on the grass. No doubt some of the bunnies ended up as dinner for Mr. Red Fox, but thank goodness I didn't witness it. These were highlights of my day and after every encounter, I felt humbled, gentled, refreshed. The strongest feeling was pleasure - ecstatic pleasure. Like you, I seek (and find it every day) in nature. And this in the heart of a big city, on a heavily traveled main thoroughfare. Critters are all around us: entertaining, instructing and observing these weird 2-legged ones.

DeAnne said...

I feel so blessed to see the wild creatures occasionally. It infuses me with peace. Maybe not Mr. Fox, but even he & I are not as dramatic with one another as before.

Unknown said...

I loved your deer story! I had the vision in my mind and also hope the sweet forest creature finds his way back to the creek. Thanks for sharing the moment.