Thursday, May 17, 2007

Cage Cleaning Day, or Chickies First Trip

A nice warm day arrived. Perfect weather for the girls’ first day outside…well, actually, outside the house but inside the dog carrier. They hated the move like they were going to ‘morph’ into dogs never again to be chickies. Once all four were together life was better. They surveyed each other and realized that no one had become a dog. Whew! Out into the backyard and a closer view of what will soon be their home…the hot pink eglu (not in photo). The chicken carrier (nee dog) was placed in a warm sunny spot. Not to be left out, the dog, Dreamer laid down nearby. Is he guarding the chickies? the carrier? or just lying in a warm spot? The girlies seemed to like their cabana replete with newspaper and waterer. While they experience all the amenities mentioned in the travel brochure, I removed the feeder, roost, and grit bowl from their dirty bird cage. Then I carefully pulled off the wide clear tape that had somewhat kept the corncob litter in the cage, and even more carefully picked up the cage and took it outside. The wheelbarrow was ready to accept the mélange of old poop, corncob litter and spilled feed, soon to be rolled out to the compost bin. Using my friend’s WetVac, I vacuumed up several pounds of corncob litter that had been kicked over the edge during their frequent wild dance numbers. I was eager to find how Ms. Barred Rock’s fresh poop on the carpet (see The Great Escape) had fared with the ½ cup of litter I poured over it. Homemakers International will be praising my name…it all dried up and left no spot on the beige carpet. After the cage and tray was scrubbed, dried in the sun, and reassembled in the bedroom the girlies returned to their fresh digs. I’m not sure they appreciated all my work, although they do look longingly through the window into the backyard.

7 comments:

MichelleVan said...

will you still have to clean outside? or will the fox do it for you?

DeAnne said...

Even better...I will put straw on the dirt of the wire coop. The chickies will scratch it around and mix it with their poop, enriching the area for later gardening. After a while I'll move them to another spot.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I just discovered your blog and I've learned a dirn bit about chickens! Hope I get to meet them soon. I should be working, but I'd rather read about your birdies. Oops! Back to work or the boss will lay an egg! See you next week!

Anonymous said...

I wanna have a blog, too. About opening a gallery in a tiny town in the mountains, not knowing what the hell I'm doing, and flying by the seat of my pants. But chickens actually sound more interesting!

DeAnne said...

Your idea is great. You will draw a lot of readers. I can help you with it but you can get started at www.blogger.com.

Anonymous said...

I did pick up the site from the address you sent out - hooray! I think Miss Arriuna looks a little like a teen punk chicken - not just the wild little feathers, but something about the way she holds her head and stands "I dare you" tall. Next comes the loud music and watch for tatoos! She may become a dancin' fool. Ik and PR stewing. I like that big gorgeous Astrolobe? Now there's a chicken!

DeAnne said...

"Now there's a chicken", eh? That black Astralorp looks beautiful in a rear view still photo but she it nutty as, you guessed it, a fruitcake. I may blog about her, Heckie, and her sister, HennyPenny one day soon.