Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Great Escape

Ms. Barred Rock has always been the largest, smartest and most aggressive of the four lovely chickie girls. The first time, the one and only time, I have ever opened the cage door and turned my back, she and one of the Astralorp girls hopped out. The sound of flapping wings and the sqwaaaaking alerted me. I turned to see them standing on the carpet. Fortunately I was the least stunned of the three of us. I reached down and put a wide hand on Miss Astralorp. She sqwaaaaked but I was resolute. I’ve learned the hard way when picking up any animal who may make a dash for freedom, my first move must count. I judged which way she would bolt; which of my hands was most flexible (least arthritic?); which way I could lean and stay out of her eyesight. Then I just did it. One additional plan I should have made is to catch the boldest one first, and then the scardiest one may be easier to corner. You might guess that Ms. Astralorp was quickly apprehended and placed back in the cage joining the obedient two who were excitedly watching over the edge of the cage. But that left Miss Smarty Pants Barred Rock hopping and dancing through the legs of the 2 TV tables that support the cage, then around the black plastic sack full of shoes going to Goodwill, then under the desk where she sat on the heater vent. Seeing this I prayed ‘Please don’t let her poop now!’ Rather than frighten her more, which often causes unexpected pooping, I left the room and closed the door. Two hours later, having suffered the no-water-no-food-torture-treatment she was ready to allow herself to be caught. She did not humor me with ‘Oh, thank you, Ma’m, you’ve come to save me’, but rather, ‘Oh, OK, I guess I’ll come to dinner.’

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gotta watch those chickys.. next thing you know they'll be off for adventures to the park!

Love the cartoon!

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

I have visions of you 10 years from now chasing Miss Smarty Pants around the yard. I want to see the video.

Anonymous said...

"Rather than frighten her more, which often causes unexpected pooping..."

Much like in the human world. *giggle*