Saturday, April 21, 2007

Cat Proofing the Chick Room

Cat Proofing the Chick Room

How to protect the chicks from Ivy, the curious Siamese-cross ? …looked for an old window screen to place on top of their box, but it interfered with the lamp and thermometer. The box is a large white plastic storage box. No firm plan for older, taller chicks. Also I could imagine Ivy cleverly tipping the screen in the middle of the night.

Brilliant idea! I will move Ivy’s food, water and litter box up to the 2nd floor landing. It will be safe and private for her. Dreamer, the 10-year old Pomeranian will not climb the stairs to get to the cat food, not because he doesn’t want it, but because I scared him about stairs once when he was a pup. I worked. Now he’s getting old and doesn’t even like to go down the stairs.

Then I can have the chicks in the back bedroom that has been a combination storeroom, cat feeding room, pet food storage, food drier, etc room. The door doesn’t latch cleanly which is nothing unusual in this 1888-built old house. First I’ll work on the hole in doorfacing that receives the latch-thingy. If necessary I will put a sliding barrel latch on it.

No comments: