Saturday, April 21, 2007

Placing the Order

Placing The Order

Today I drove out to the farm store. I never recall the name because it reminds me of ConAgra, which it is not. It’s probably CO for Colorado-something. They mostly cater to cattle and horse people. Last week I left my name and number to be called when they get chicks. Thinking they only get one batch and being the crazed Yank woman not wanting to miss the deal, today I asked to reserve 3 chicks, AND by the way, what kind are you getting? Yippee, they are getting Ameracaunas (not pure Aracaunas which the farm store man informed me had entered the US 45 years ago.) So I suppose in 45 years we Yanks naturally had to improve them!

I am learning to ask more questions, but also to hesitate more. Hesitation is good practice with these old farm guys. Fast- talking self-assured Yank women seem to shut off their natural generosity. I am learning. Now it seems they will be getting Barred Rocks. Next I’m not sure if he said Rhode Island Reds or Red Stars because when I heard Buffs! Oh boy, I had Buff Orpingtons high on my research list. Then he said, maybe some Wyandottes. Wow, that really put me over the top! They had been high on my list too. Ameracauna, Buff Orpington, Wyandotte, this trio would be a dream come true. How often would they receive chicks? Oh, starting in late March, probably every week until into May. I put my name & wishes down for mid-April (hopefully the Great Dane neighbors can get their 6-foot fence built by outdoor chicken time. I told them late May).

The new chicks will be one day old and will be sexed. I hope I don’t get a rooster in error. By the time I’d find out it might be too late to replace him. I hope those sexing people are very good at their job. Arriving in mid-April the chicks will have to live in the back bedroom, which I am fixing for them. No pink or blue decisions, maybe white and yellow.

No comments: