Saturday, April 21, 2007

New peep digs

New peep digs

The new day olds will be living in the back bedroom for a while (Spring?). I’ve put the cat litter box and the cat, Ivy’s food and water bowls upstairs on the landing. This solves 2 problems. I can secure the chick room door so Ivy cannot get to the chicks. Second, Dreamer, the Pom cannot climb stairs to get to the cat food. No discipline here, just multi-level separation.

Large plastic boxes will house the new peeps. The new thermometer-humidity measurer combo showed only 80 degrees with the light I rigged. Need to get it up to 95 degrees F. The heat lamps in the stores look menacingly hot. When I see a red beam coming from those I expect to hear the chef holler “Baked chicken up on #1”. To keep the heat lamp at adjustable heights I will sacrifice the tripod lamp over my art table. Won’t be doing any art…just be looking at the peeps.

Found other bulbs in a box in the storeroom. Maybe they will work. Goal is to start them at 95 F. and come down 5 degrees each week, reaching 70 F when they can go outside, assuming outside is no colder.

Wonder what I’ll house them in when they are weeks 4 & 5?

No comments: