Saturday, April 28, 2007

Yes, I got chick #4

Yes, I got chick #4

Went to the farmstore ONLY to get a new plastic quart waterer that will fit thru the birdcage door. BUT they had some new chicks.

I had to have her. I will NOT change my blog name to 4chickenfarm. She is beautiful, an Ameracauna...the kind I wanted initially. Her fluff is rich vicuna coat butterscotch with a black saddle and Cleopatra eye makeup. She will lay blue and/or green eggs. I made a see thru divider wall in the cage to keep her safe during a day or two of introductions. Within an hour she squirmed under it to join the others. They seem to like her.

It's been 3 hours and I think they are tired of her. I see them peck at her a bit so I separated them again, secured the divider and will let them all get more accustomed to each other from a little distance.

Another few hours later. She has peeped so loud to get across the barrier to the others, that I put her over there again. I hope they won't hurt her. She just wants to be close to her own kind. She walks close to them, sort of bumps up under them acting like a chick under a mother hen, I suppose.

Looked in on the chickies again. They were all cuddled up together. New little gal is quiet and happy in her new family. I'm happy for her.

The new Ameracauna chick is named Arriauna...Arriauna Ameracauna! We’ll have to practice spelling it at home before she stands at the blackboard in front of her schoolmates.

3 comments:

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

She sounds adorable. You didn't tell me you had a blog...just look at all the stuff I have been missing. Yay! Looking forward to more from the chicken farm.

Anonymous said...

I am charmed by your description of the new arrivals and will follow their clucks and luck as they mature from young chicks to teen chicks. Hope you'll post some pictures. May I forward your blog address to my daughter, who happens to be a duck/geese devotee? Blessings to the flockette? and flockkeeper. astrocrone

MichelleVan said...

can't wait to come see your new chicky! K will love it too.