Saturday, April 21, 2007

First days of peeps in the bedroom

First days of peeps in the bedroom

Such fun! Two fluffy black and yellow Astralorps and one fluffy charcoal gray Barred Rock. Each would fit gently in my cupped palm. Ms. B. Rock started out looking much larger and has more developed wing feathers than the other two. In height the 2 Astralorps are catching up. They have a yellow wing feather starting.

I’m wondering if Ms. B. Rock might be Mr. B. Rock because of his more developed wing feathers and his comb is somewhat evident along the top ridge of his beak. I guess that is premature comb…I don’t know. If she is a he, I hope to know soon. I would replace him with an Ameracauna next week if the farmstore receives them. Ameracaunas lay blue and green eggs. Having them is what lauched my whole adventure in chickdom. I may get one Ameracauna anyway. The eglu is designed for 4 max anyway.

The 2 A’s are more curious. They wander around the whole box. They peck at most anything. A couple of times one of them pecked at Ms. B. Rocks butt.

One thing they do that cracks me up is, one will peck at some imaginary spot on the wall of the box, another will dash up and peck at that exact spot. Whaaat? There was nothing there! I expect the first one to say “Made you peck, made you peck?”

No comments: